Barney, a lovable purple dinosaur, magically comes to life to help Amy, Michael and their friends plan a surprise birthday party for their father. Barney shows them how to use their imaginations and the costumes in their club house (a converted garage) to create a fun filled song and dance extravaganza. This video stresses positive values and creative expression in play.
Show features Sandy Duncan as Mom, live action with animation, traditional songs and rhymes, and stories filled with fantasy, magic, and surprises.
Educational Theme: Working Together and Doing Things for Others
- Barney Theme Song
- I Love You
- Hey, Hey, The Gang's All Here
- I Love You (Reprise)
- Bumpin' Up and Down
- Six Little Ducks
- Baby Bumblebee
- Humpty Dumpty
- Hickory Dickory Dock
- This Little Piggy
- If You're Happy and You Know It
- Hello, Hello, Hello
- I've Been Working on the Railroad
- Little Bunny Foo Foo
- For He's a Jolly Good Fellow
- Hokey Pokey
- In the original script, Michael was originally named Billy, Amy was originally named Annie and the opening scene was the entire Backyard Gang watching and marching to a televised parade.
- The song "Friends Are Forever" (which was sung in the following video) is heard as an underscore when Michael and Amy find Barney after he turns back into a toy dinosaur.
- This is the only video to feature a different version of The Lyons Group logo music.
- First video to have the Sandy Duncan intro and outro speeches.
- First video to have the Kids Edutainment Video logo.
- Barney and the Backyard Gang get their costumes ready for the stage.
- Previews on the original 1988 VHS include A Day at the Beach and Three Wishes, while the 1991 VHS also has previews for Campfire Sing-Along and Waiting for Santa.