The Emperor's New Groove is the 40th Disney animated feature, and the last in the canon during Generation 2.5 of Walt Disney Home Video. It was released in theaters on December 15, 2000, then as announced on February 21, 2001, on VHS and DVD on May 1, 2001.
If you liked Aladdin, you'll love Disney's The Emperor's New Groove, where outrageous comedy rules! Audiences and critics alike raved about this hilarious animated adventure: Ebert & Roeper And The Movies gave it "Two Thumbs Up."
Faster than you can say "boom, baby," arrogant Emperor Kuzco (voiced by David Spade) is turned into a llama by his devious advisor, Yzma (Eartha Kitt), and her hunky henchman, Kronk (Patrick Warburton), who want to rid the kingdom of this beast of burden. Now the ruler who once had it all must form an unlikely alliance with a pleasant peasant named Pacha (John Goodman). Together, Kuzco and Pacha must overcome their differences as they embark on a hilarious, "groovy" adventure that will have you howling with laughter.
There's something for everyone in this "hip, funny movie" (Gannett News Service) with its dynamo cast, distinctive style and great music -- featuring the Academy Award-nominated song, "My Funny Friend and Me" -- all fully captured in state of the art quality created directly from the digital source, which ensures the best possible sound and picture.
|1||Blue warning screens||May 30, 2000|
|2||Walt Disney Home Video logo||March 5, 1992|
|3||"Coming Soon to Theaters" Bumper||December 14, 1999|
|4||Trailer for Atlantis: The Lost Empire||January 30, 2001|
|5||"Coming Soon to Own on Video & DVD" Bumper||December 14, 1999|
|6||Trailer for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Platinum Edition||February 27, 2001|
|7||Trailer for The Hunchback of Notre Dame II||April 3, 2001|
|8||Video preview for Recess: School's Out||May 1, 2001|
|9||Join Us After the Feature (The Emperor's New Groove)||May 1, 2001|
|10||Feature Presentation||December 14, 1999|
|11||Full Screen Format Disclaimer||July 11, 2000|
|12||THX logo||July 15, 1997|
|13||The Emperor's New Groove||December 15, 2000|
|14||Music Video: "My Funny Friend in Me"||May 1, 2001|
|15||Promo for The Emperor's New Groove soundtrack||May 1, 2001|
|16||Video preview for 102 Dalmatians||May 1, 2001|
- Never-Before-Seen, Deleted Scene
- 3 Behind-The-Scenes Featurettes
- Sting's Making The Music Video Featuring The Song "My Funny Friend And Me" As Featured On The Emperor's New Groove Soundtrack
- Rascal Flatts Music Video Featuring The Song "Walk The Llama Llama" As Featured On The Emperor's New Groove Soundtrack. Learn How To Do The "Walk The Llama Llama" Dance!
- Audio Commentary With The Filmmakers
- DVD-ROM Features
- Action-Adventure Set-Top Game - Test Your Skill At Three Levels! Featuring The Actual Voice Talents Of Yzma And Kronk!
Only in the Collector's Edition DVD:
- The Animation Groove - A Fast-Paced Behind-The-Scenes Tour Of How A Modern Disney Animated Film Is Made! You'll Go Where No Outsider Has Ever Ventures Beyond The Walls Of Disney's Animation Department
- The Development Process
- Story And Editorial
- Layouts And Backgrounds
- The Animation Process
- Putting It All Together
- Music And Sound - Mixing Demonstration - Make Your Own Tracks!
- Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins (August 8, 2000)
- The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (September 19, 2000)
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (October 3, 2000)
- James and the Giant Peach (October 3, 2000)
- Toy Story 2 (October 17, 2000)
- Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century (October 17, 2000)
- Angels in the Infield (October 17, 2000)
- Shanghai Noon (October 17, 2000)
- Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure (February 27, 2001)
- Remember the Titans (March 20, 2001)
- 102 Dalmatians (April 3, 2001)
- The Kid (June 19, 2001)
In Other Countries
|Country of origin||Release date|
|South Korea||July 23, 2001|
|UK||November 5, 2001|
|Japan||December 19, 2001|
The Emperor's New Groove premiered on the ABC television network on October 14, 2001, and on Disney Channel on December 20, 2002. After that, the movie aired three more times on ABC -- on March 16, 2003, April 3, 2004, and July 9, 2005. It also aired on Disney Channel from September 21, 2003 to September 15, 2005.
102 Dalmatians (VHS/DVD)
|The Emperor's New Groove (VHS/DVD)||Succeeded by|
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Platinum Edition)