In the early 1980s, Disney received complaints from their fans about the adult themes from the most recent films that were given a PG rating. Because of this, Ron W. Miller, the CEO of the Walt Disney Company, created the Touchstone Pictures label, allowing Disney to release adult-oriented movies.
On March 9, 1984, the first Touchstone movie was released -- Splash. In fact, that was the only film to use this logo, which can be found on this movie's VHS and DVD prints and television broadcasts. The logo made its TV debut on November 9, 1986 on ABC.
The second logo appeared on only two films -- Country (1984) and Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend (1985). It can still be found on DVD and VHS releases of both movies. More interestingly, these two films' initial VHS releases, along with the next film (My Science Project), contained the Walt Disney and You promo at the end.
For its first year, this logo used the studio's old name, "Touchstone Films", beginning with My Science Project (1985) and ending with The Color of Money (1986). Around the release date of the 1986 Walt Disney Home Video logo, the studio's name was changed to Touchstone Pictures, first seen on Tough Guys (1986). The "Films" variant is rare, while the "Pictures" variant is much more common to find on late 1980s, 1990s, and early 2000s films, such as Good Morning, Vietnam (1987), Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988), Dead Poets Society (1989), Dick Tracy (1990), Father of the Bride (1991), The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), and more. Within these films, the 1991 VHS of Three Men and a Little Lady was the first to contain a trailer of a Walt Disney Pictures film. Since then, more Touchstone movies (those rated PG) gradually got more trailers from Walt Disney Home Video titles. For example:
- Sister Act (1992 VHS) - If My Sister's in Trouble music video, Sister Act soundtrack, Father of the Bride
- 3 Ninjas (1993 VHS)- Captain Ron, The Mighty Ducks, The Muppet Movie
- Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit (1994 VHS)- The Nightmare Before Christmas, Angie, Like Water for Chocolate
- Into the West (1994 VHS) (Version 1)- The Air Up There, Blank Check, The Return of Jafar
- Into the West (1994 VHS) (Version 2)- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, D2: The Mighty Ducks
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (1994 VHS)- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, D2: The Mighty Ducks, Gargoyles: The Movie
- Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit (1995 VHS)- Angels in the Outfield, The Air Up There
- Father of the Bride Part II (1996 VHS) (Version 1)- Nixon, Mr. Holland's Opus, Oliver & Company
- Father of the Bride Part II (1996 VHS) (Version 2)- Father of the Bride Part II soundtrack, Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves, Mr. Holland's Opus
- Kazaam (1996 VHS)- Jack, Eddie, First Kid, Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves
- Kazaam (1997 VHS)- Old Yeller, Walt Disney Film Classics: The Love Bug Collection, Microcosmos, First Kid
- Little Indian, Big City (1998 VHS)- Rocketman, Mr. Magoo, The Black Cauldron, Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World, The Lion King II: Simba's Pride, Kiki's Delivery Service
- Krippendorf's Tribe (1998 VHS)- An American Werewolf in Paris, Mr. Magoo, Little Indian, Big City, Kundun, Summer Fling
- The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit (1999 VHS)- The Waterboy, Strike, Mafia, Simon Birch, A Bug's Life
- Little Indian, Big City (1999 VHS)- Doug's 1st Movie, Mighty Joe Young, The Parent Trap (remake)
- Krippendorf's Tribe (1999 VHS)- Doug's 1st Movie, Mighty Joe Young, The Parent Trap (remake)
- The Waterboy (1999 VHS) (Version 1)- Inspector Gadget, Mighty Joe Young, Mafia, Simon Birch, The Waterboy soundtrack
- The Waterboy (1999 VHS) (Version 2)- Mystery, Alaska, Rush More, I'll Be Home for Christmas, Home Improvement: The Series Finale, Wasteland, Superbowl Champion Series, The Waterboy soundtrack, The Making of The Waterboy
- Tuesdays with Morrie (2000 VHS)- Bicentennial Man, Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo, Music of the Heart, Endurance, The Straight Story
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (2000 VHS)- The Emperor's New Groove, The Black Cauldron and The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, James and the Giant Peach: Special Edition
- Shanghai Noon (2000 VHS)- Unbreakable, The Emperor's New Groove, Shanghai Noon: Special Edition, High Fidelity, Mission to Mars, Video.com
- Shanghai Noon (2001 VHS)- Keeping the Faith, Boys and Girls
- Tuesdays with Morrie (2001 VHS)- Pearl Harbor, The Crew, Sweet Revenge, The ALS Association
First seen with the film Signs (2002) in theaters, this is the current logo for films released by Touchstone Pictures and Touchstone Home Entertainment. Unfortunately, it has become rare as of 2007, with only two films released that year, due to industry costs. As a result, no R-rated movies were released from this brand name until September 2008. The last R-rated movie released by Touchstone Pictures was The Fifth Estate, which was released on October 18, 2013.
The music for this logo is the same as the previous one.
Touchstone Home Video/Entertainment
It's an extremely rare Touchstone Home Video logo; as though it was only seen the initial VHS releases of three of the first four Touchstone Films, from Splash to My Science Project (Country didn't have it, as it skips right to the Touchstone Films logo instead). The Walt Disney and You promo can also be seen at the end of all four movies, and the last one is the first to have a trailer for a coming attraction (for the next film, Down and Out in Beverely Hills).
Only used for one year, it can only be seen the first video releases of Down and Out in Beverly Hills, Off Beat, Ruthless People, The Color of Money, and Outrageous Fortune. Unless you're lucky, the 1987 Touchstone Home Video logo (see below) will appear instead of this one.
If you're a fan of Touchstone Pictures films, especially ones from the late 1980s, 1990s and early 2000s, this logo should be very easy to find. The 2002 variant is kinda rare, though, as it has the words "Home Entertainment" instead. This variant first appeared on the Corky Romano VHS on May 14, 2002.
Although current, it pretty rarely appears on new movies as of 2007.
|Walt Disney||Film (mainstream) • Home media (mainstream) • Film and home media (Touchstone) • Television (mainstream) • Television (Disney/ABC)|
|Paramount||Film • Home media • Television|
|NBCUniversal||Film (mainstream) • Home media (mainstream) • Film and home media (DreamWorks) • Television|
|Sony Pictures||Film (Columbia) • Film (TriStar) • Home media • Television|
|20th Century Fox||Film • Home media • Television|
|Warner Bros.||Film (mainstream) • Home media (mainstream) • Film and home media (New Line) • Television|
|MGM||Film • Home media|
|Broadcast television||PBS: Television • Television stations • Television for kids • Home media|
Syndication: Merv Griffin Enterprises • KingWorld/CBS Television Distribution • DiC Entertainment • HiT Entertainment • Nickelodeon Productions • 4Kids Entertainment
|Video games||Nintendo • Sega|
|Other||Film • Closed captioning|